[Idngwg] meeting notes and updated document 2 June 2016

Edmon Chung edmon at registry.asia
Thu Jun 16 08:01:49 UTC 2016

In our last meeting, I volunteered to try to pull together a more comprehensive set of policy issues for IDN Variants to see whether the IDN Guidelines should say anything about them.

Please find attached a first stab at it with a rough structure identifying key sets of issues into:

-       allocation ("ownership" or registrant of domain name, and what is considered a "registered" domain)

-       delegation ("activation" into the DNS, and what mechanisms are acceptable/not-acceptable)

-       childhosts & nameservers (any implication on handling of childhosts and nameservers involving IDN Variants)

-       WHOIS / registration data (search and result behaviours for IDN Variants)

Our discussion should probably look at whether IDN Guidelines should touch on the subject at all or leave it entirely up to the TLD registries, or some principles should be recommended, and if o what

Edmon