[Idngwg] should registries be allowed to implement techno-policies that violate these IDN Guidelines

Feher, Kal Kalman.Feher at neustar.biz
Fri Aug 5 05:06:20 UTC 2016

It's an interesting topic that raises the question of what exactly the IDN
Guidelines are? It may be that the usage of the noun 'guideline' in this
instance is misused. Are these a collection of implementation instructions
that should be followed, but can be deviated from under appropriate
circumstances or are these rules to be followed at all times?

I can think of examples for both. Adherence to IDNA 2008 and following
RFCs 5890-4 should be a rule in my opinion. Using established LGRs on the
other hand, should be a suggestion only.

There needs to be a mechanism for operators to deviate from some of our
guidelines in a controlled manner. I read Google's changes not as reducing
the authority of the IDN Guidelines, but rather clarifying that any
negotiated changes to the guidelines have primacy with regards to
adherence to the Registry Agreement. If they've received approval to
implement IDNs in a certain way, Registry Operators need confidence that
approval will not be ignored or subverted.

However, negotiating changes to the provision of IDNs (as described by the
IDN Guidelines), should probably be described within the Guidelines
themselves. That is, the Guidelines should be clear on what can be
altered, under what circumstances and what if any mitigation actions
should accompany that change.

Kal Feher