[Idngwg] should registries be allowed to implement techno-policies that violate these IDN Guidelines

Wael Nasr wael at comdots.co
Fri Aug 5 07:43:40 UTC 2016

How would registry to registry variation in IDN implementation reflect on a
global user experience ?  if there are major differences across registries
then users will be confused and affects the whole progress of IDN.

I think the guidelines should create uniformity across registries and a
single clear linguistic user experience.

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 6:38 AM, Edmon Chung <edmon at registry.asia> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> It has come to my attention in the recent public comments regarding
> registry agreement amendment that Google has expressed that it seems they
> do not wish for these IDN Guidelines to be hard requirements for gTLDs:
>
> ======================================
> Specification 6, Section 1.4 (IDNs): [Google Registry] expressed concern
> that the proposed language would permanently prevent registries from being
> able to predictably negotiate potential changes to the provision of IDNs
> that conflicted with the IDN Guidelines, as the IDN Guidelines would
> continue to control even if these services had been reviewed, approved, and
> reflected in the respective Registry Operator’s Exhibit A. Thus, [Google
> Registry] recommended that the proposed text be revised to reflect that if
> there is an approved RSEP allowing the Registry to deviate from the IDN
> Guidelines, the IDN-related provisions of Exhibit A would control.
> ======================================
>
> Given our discussion so far, I think we intend for these IDN Guidelines to
> be overarching requirements that should never be conflicted with.
>
> If that is the idea for these IDN Guidelines, then we should alert ICANN
> not to allow such "exceptions".  If there exist a case that such an
> "exception" is needed, the proper approach maybe to update these IDN
> Guidelines...
>
> Wonder what others think...
>
> Edmon

Wael Nasr