[Internal-cg] Timeline and proposal finalization process updates

Alissa Cooper alissa at cooperw.in
Mon Feb 23 17:22:35 UTC 2015

I wanted to respond to some of the points below made by Daniel, Martin, Kavouss, and Manal concerning the timeline. I’ve moved them all over to this thread since they are about the substance of the timeline and not our call agenda.

Along the lines of what Manal has said, it may be that trying to publish a detailed updated timeline right now is over-specifying things. I think we need to keep in mind the framing that Patrik used when discussing this at the F2F meeting, where the central question was: what are the next steps that the ICG needs to take? Specifically, I think we have two questions to answer:

(1) What does the ICG plan to do before receiving the CWG proposal?
(2) What does the ICG plan to do after receiving the CWG proposal?

For (1), I think we have good agreement that we should do the following:
- Step 2 assessment (including further consultation with the IETF and RIRs as necessary). We have already started this.
- Produce a draft combined proposal containing the IETF and RIR proposals
- Monitoring and issue-spotting within the CWG proposal development process

There appears to be some debate about whether we should also run a public comment process before receiving the CWG proposal. We should discuss that further.

For (2), it may be simplest to not provide much detail right now about our plans. We can revisit this question on a regular basis over the coming months as the CWG proposal development process advances.

Thus, I would support publishing a brief note along the lines that Manal suggests, rather than trying to update the timeline in detail right now, as long as we make it clear what our next steps are.

Alissa