[Internal-cg] Thinking about the assessment process

Subrenat, Jean-Jacques jjs at dyalog.net
Wed Jan 7 10:41:26 UTC 2015

Thank you Alissa for your thoughts on the process.

Following on Daniel's initiative, and for the sake of transparency, here is how I have been interacting with ALAC which designated me to be a member of the ICG:

Immediately after my designation, I suggested that ALAC set up an Ad-hoc Working Group (WG), in order to follow developments in the ICG, and prepare contributions for the "proposal" stage. On average, this WG has held conference calls once a week, during which typically Mohamed and I were invited to give an update on ICG work. In late 2014, ALAC elected a new chair (Alan Greenberg), who agreed that Olivier Crépin-Leblond (his predecessor as ALAC Chair) would continue to chair this WG.

Conversely, my participation in the formulation of ALAC positions on Transition has been voluntarily limited to ensuring that data being used was accurate, that there was sufficient awareness regarding timeline and process, and to avoid straying from agreed objectives. In doing this, I avoided promoting any particular point of view on policy choices, because it was/is my belief that, as a representative of ALAC and more generally of the Internet user community, my duty is to convey their expectations or concerns to the ICG, rather than to advocate a particular outcome.

Regarding Alissa's suggestion that the assessment of each contribution by "affected parties" should include "insiders" as well as "outsiders", I volunteer to help assess Names, Protocol Parameters, and contributions from the Internet user community.

Best regards,
Jean-Jacques.