[IOT] Status of ICANN staff in IOT

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Fri Dec 7 05:32:15 UTC 2018

On 06/12/2018 19:53, Burr, Becky wrote:
> Respectfully to all, and without opining on the substance of the
> repose issue, I am concerned that we may be imposing general
> assumptions about the role of staff in policy development on the work
> of the IRP Implementation Oversight Team without adequate
> consideration.

I agree we did not give adequate consideration to the role of staff in
this group. Prompted by the Board's own resolution, let us do so now.

> According to the Bylaws, "An IRP Implementation Oversight Team shall
> be established in consultation with the Supporting Organizations and
> Advisory Committees and comprised of members of the global Internet
> community."

Becky, thank you for making this very important point.

The composition of this group is set out in the Bylaws. It is required
to be "comprised of members of the global Internet community" - not
"jointly of members of ICANN staff and of the global Internet community".

That is decisive and binding upon us.

Kind Regards,

Malcolm.

--
            Malcolm Hutty | tel: +44 20 7645 3523
   Head of Public Affairs | Read the LINX Public Affairs blog

                 London Internet Exchange Ltd
           Monument Place, 24 Monument Street London EC3R 8AJ

         Company Registered in England No. 3137929