[IOT] IRP - IOT: On forwarding two current issues to SOs and ACs

McAuley, David dmcauley at Verisign.com
Tue Jun 25 19:20:47 UTC 2019

Dear members of the IRP IOT:

At our last meeting Malcolm and I were designated a small sub team to attempt to draft correspondence forwarding our two current issues (adding new IOT members and resolving the question regarding the participation within the IOT of ICANN staff and external counsel) to SOs and ACs for action. Malcom and I were in touch within the time promised and we have been trying since then in good faith to develop such correspondence.

We have been unable to agree and so we plan to send this note below to SOs and ACs on behalf of the IOT.

Dear SO and AC leaders,

The IRP IOT (see Bylaw 4.3(n)) has encountered two issues that require your attention/resolution before the IOT can make further progress. Those two issues are:

a.      Participation in the IOT has dropped off to the point that in our view we need the addition of new members; and

b.      We ask that you resolve whether ICANN staff and external counsel are eligible for full voting membership of the IOT.

There are two annexes to the letter.

ANNEX  A, drafted by IOT member Malcolm Hutty, explains these issues and presents the prevailing view of the IOT and asks for your urgent attention to these matters.

ANNEX  B, drafted in my personal capacity as a member and not as chair, presents my minority view.

Thank you.

David McAuley (Chair, IRP-IOT)

The two annexes will be:

ANNEX A:    drafted by Malcolm Hutty - see attached

ANNEX B will be attached and will say:

Personal statement of IRP IOT member David McAuley

I join my colleagues in seeking SO/AC attention to the two issues noted.

I wish to note my personal opinion that inasmuch as the IOT exists pursuant to ICANN Bylaws the SO//ACs would be well advised to coordinate with ICANN in addressing these two matters.

This has been a challenging process and I am grateful to Malcolm for his efforts to fashion mutually agreeable text.

It is our assessment from the last IOT call that the group wants the issues forwarded as Malcolm and I agree. Therefore, please note that I plan to send this correspondence to the chairs of the various SOs and ACs as soon as reasonably possible.

Best regards,

Sr International Policy & Business Development Manager

Verisign Inc.

703-948-4154