[IOT] Translations and New SOI form

Kurt Pritz kurt at kjpritz.com
Mon Apr 27 23:41:58 UTC 2020

Hi Susan:

Thank you for doing this work.

I have made some suggestions in the document. To make them easy to find, I accepted your changes.

I like Mike’s idea that ICANN can just decide to go ahead with translation. We might have to add that the panel would not be prejudiced by an initial ICANN determination to not provide translation services. I don’t agree with Mike’s suggestion that the claimant prove “fairness and equitableness” as that is too subjective a standard, I am fine with Oxford commas but wish to avoid dangling prepositions at any cost.

We don’t want to make this too long but there are also standards to which each side should adhere in furnished documents that are to be translated. (As an example, I selected elements from a California standard.)

"Before a document is sent out for translation, the original version must itself be of high quality. This means the document must be:
Written in plain language, with no or minimal (if necessary) use of legalese, in the active voice, with simple sentences, short paragraphs, no jargon, no abbreviations, and no use of acronyms.
Checked for the use of consistent terminology within the document and consistency with other documents in the same or related case types.
Culturally competent, avoiding idiomatic expressions or colloquialisms (expressions that do not have the same meaning in other languages and cultures). If certain text is unavoidable, then special consideration should be given to finding the best possible translation"
Thank you again and I echo your hope for everyone’s wellness.

Kurt