[IOT] [Ext] Re: IOT - Agenda for 17 Nov call 17:00 UTC

Samantha Eisner Samantha.Eisner at icann.org
Tue Nov 17 17:15:06 UTC 2020

Thanks Flip.  Your clarification is appreciated.

From: Flip Petillion <fpetillion at petillion.law>
Date: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 at 9:10 AM
To: Samantha Eisner <Samantha.Eisner at icann.org>, Susan Payne <susan.payne at comlaude.com>, Malcolm Hutty <Malcolm at linx.net>, Bernard Turcotte <turcotte.bernard at gmail.com>, "iot at icann.org" <iot at icann.org>
Subject: [Ext] Re: [IOT] IOT - Agenda for 17 Nov call 17:00 UTC

I think a word is missing in point 6

The iRPs are not solely about …

Flip

Flip Petillion
fpetillion at petillion.law<mailto:fpetillion at petillion.law>
+32484652653
www.petillion.law

[id:image001.png at 01D3691D.DA7539C0][petillion.law]<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.petillion.law/__;!!PtGJab4!qsfERySOhQa0tb5V1T_TLpw6JgZhJrmmu_9cIh5ZywiV4vceEunFMAfcAf6WFl9UzuNRcNr0oA$>

  Attorneys – Advocaten – Avocats

From: IOT <iot-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of Samantha Eisner <Samantha.Eisner at icann.org>
Date: Tuesday, 17 November 2020 at 17:59
To: Susan Payne <susan.payne at comlaude.com>, Malcolm Hutty <Malcolm at linx.net>, Bernard Turcotte <turcotte.bernard at gmail.com>, "iot at icann.org" <iot at icann.org>
Subject: Re: [IOT] IOT - Agenda for 17 Nov call 17:00 UTC

Looking forward to the conversation, and I have a few notes to share based on my initial read this morning:

  1.  ICANN does not need to give permission to any person or entity to file an IRP. That is a choice of the filer if they believe they have standing (i.e., meet all the prerequisites of alleging a proper dispute under the Bylaws and they suffered harm, etc.).  ICANN also does not direct filers on what they can or cannot say in their IRP filing.
  2.  The issue of whether the IRP was timely filed is an issue for the panel to consider, and if ICANN believed that the IRP was not timely, it would surely note that issue in its filings.
  3.  Both of the items are premised on the ICANN community recommending and the Board accepting a program or policy that happens to actually be against mission.  As ICANN org has flagged before, if that is the initial premise, we have far bigger issues in ICANN or ICANN’s MSM than just the running of a singular policy or program.
  4.  Both of the scenarios could reasonably set out a timely filing of an IRP based on a specific implementation decision as raised by ICANN.  The issue we have been discussing with the IOT is whether an aggrieved person or entity can come, years down the road and with no new action by ICANN or the Board, to say that the decision that was taken years ago was improper.  That scenario is not presented by Malcolm’s new stress tests. (I am not opining on the content of the examples with this statement, just focusing on the timing).
  5.  If ICANN were declared to have violated its Bylaws as applied in either of those scenarios, the discussion about the future viability of the entirety of the program/policy would be a necessary discussion.  This seems to be the same outcome that would happen even if the initial decision was challenged, but the IRP would be based on fresh, recent facts and inputs.
  6.  As a reminder, the IRPs are not about delivering individual relief to an impacted entity.

Thanks,

Sam