[IOT] IOT - Agenda for October 12 meeting at 17:00 UTC

Sam Eisner Samantha.Eisner at icann.org
Tue Oct 12 16:49:56 UTC 2021

ICANN legal is happy to participate across the subgroups as they are initiated.

In reviewing the items, I had a few items (5.b.i; 6; and 16 highlighted in yellow the attached) where we suggest a closer consideration of whether those items are within the IOT mandate before launching subgroup work.  In particular, as the IRP is now a binding process, we are not clear on what role the IOT would have in defining items regarding  “non-binding” IRPs.  (5.b.i and 6).  On Item 16, regarding a challenge to a summary dismissal of a Reconsideration Request, it is not clear that there is any need for a separate work track – if a claimant alleges the summary dismissal is in violation of the Articles or Bylaws, then the summary dismissal is the act from which timing is assessed and under which claimant could file an IRP.

There are two items highlighted in blue (7 and 15).  These are items where we might wish to consider if other inputs might be helpful prior to dedicating IOT time on this.  7, on potential ambiguity as it relates to interim relief/stays, might be an item that is best deferred to the review cycles of the Procedural Rules after the Standing Panel is in place, as it might be an area where the arbitrators themselves can help identify if ambiguity exists or not.  On 15, relating to PTI Service complaints, we might wish to consider how/whether to ask anything of PTI or the Customer Standing Committee to see if any additional procedures are required.

Thanks,

Sam