[IOT] IRP-IOT Action Items

Susan Payne susan.payne at comlaude.com
Fri May 3 15:26:25 UTC 2024

We will have our next IOT call on Monday 13 May, 1800-1930 UTC.  Note the day change, I'm afraid I have commitments during our regular slot on 14th and the following week.

There are a few decisions and action items from the IOT call a couple of days ago that I wanted to highlight:

1.      Redline of updated text of the rules against the current Interim Supplementary Procedures -

This is the last piece needed before the package of materials can be submitted for the public comment. Action for IOT: Please flag any comments/edits/questions by email by 6 May.

2.      Standing Panel [training] materials  -

Action for SP: to circulate a revised draft following our discussion on the call.

3.      Outstanding task on IRP Rules: Interim Measures (Art 10)  (see attached extracts from rules)

No specific update to IRP Supplementary Procedures identified.  Action for IOT: Share any further views before our next call.

Action for BT: Add to our list of Bylaws items which the IOT suggest may be unclear or warrant review, to be subsequently flagged to the Board: potential lack of clarity/inconsistency between Bylaws Art 4.3(o)(iv) power of the Panel to "recommend" a stay and Art 4.3(p) envisaging injunctive relief including a stay, and that such requests be "adjudicated".

4.3(o)(iv) [IRP Panel authority to] Recommend that ICANN stay any action or decision, or take necessary interim action, until such time as the opinion of the IRP Panel is considered.

4.3(p) A Claimant may request interim relief. Interim relief may include prospective relief, interlocutory relief, or declaratory or injunctive relief, and specifically may include a stay of the challenged ICANN action or decision until such time as the opinion of the IRP Panel is considered as described in Section 4.3(o)(iv), in order to maintain the status quo. A single member of the Standing Panel ("Emergency Panelist") shall be selected to adjudicate requests for interim relief.

Action for SE/EL: to review ICDR Art 7 to ensure it does not conflict with Bylaws

4.      Outstanding task on IRP Rules: Procedure where ICANN elects not to respond (Bylaws 4.3(n)(iv)(F))

No specific update to IRP Supplementary Procedures identified.  Group are comfortable that existing provisions are adequate, particularly given the unlikelihood of this situation arising.  Action for IOT: If anyone disagrees please share by email before next call.

5.      Outstanding task on IRP Rules: Non-binding IRPs and Precedent - is it within our remit to consider whether non-binding IRPs should constitute precedent? (see attached sections from Bylaws)

Action for BT: Add to our list of Bylaws items which the IOT suggest may be unclear or warrant review, to be subsequently flagged to the Board: What is the benefit of having a non-binding IRP and is this a good use of ICANN resources? If retained, should there be clarification of the precedential status of a non-binding IRP?

Susan Payne
Head of Legal Policy
Com Laude
T +44 (0) 20 7421 8250