[ispcp] apology

Mike O'Connor mike at haven2.com
Tue Mar 11 12:28:26 UTC 2014

hi all,

i filled out the Pew Research Center poll about “the Internet in 2025” on a day when i was in a bad mood.  i’m *sure* i said that the opinions expressed were my own, but that was stupid — i should have completed the form as an individual, not as your representative to the Council.

the upshot is a bad misrepresentation — my view appearing to be yours.  i’ll try to send a correction, but the damage is done.  i’m learning a lot of valuable lessons in this new role you’ve elected me to.  unfortunately at your cost.  i would be happy to resign if you think it appropriate.

i’m really sorry about this.

here’s a link to the article (NPR is National Public Radio in the US — "all tech considered” stories are generally broadcast on Monday evenings on NPR’s national radio news program).

	http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2014/03/11/288695332/the-internet-will-be-everywhere-in-2025-for-better-or-worse

and here’s the quote:

The downside? Group-think, mob mentality and manipulation. "The Internet will be used as the most effective force of mind control the planet has ever seen, leaving the Madison Avenue revolution as a piddling, small thing by comparison," says Mikey O'Connor, an elected representative to ICANN's GNSO Council, representing the ISP and Connectivity Provider Constituency.

sorry,

mikey

PHONE: 651-647-6109, FAX: 866-280-2356, WEB: www.haven2.com, HANDLE: OConnorStP (ID for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)