[itipanel] another "namecoin" mention

Jari Arkko jari.arkko at piuha.net
Sun Dec 15 18:22:17 UTC 2013

Elise,

> Perhaps this concept is what Paul Mockapetris was referring to in his
> closing comments in Buenos Aires.  He mentioned research into a more
> distributed DNS.

I think that is right. I can see a couple of different items:

1) Research/development into a more distributed way to administer DNS. Shared zones, in particular. We should definitely state this in our report and list it as something that we believe the world needs. Note that this might not be bitcoin at all, n-of-m solutions seem more likely.

2) Novel business models involving electronic cash such as bitcoin. We should probably say in our report that the world is innovating heavily in this space and that some interesting developments may occur. I'd classify this mostly under "this is happening and we need not push for it", however. If you think about this for a moment, there are some really wild scenarios here, so maybe filing this under "crazy stuff" would also be appropriate :-) Temporary TLDs, dynamic TLD ownership based on markets, bitcoin blockchain-style change proofs of DNS root, and so on.

Jari