[itipanel] Suggestion to ITI Panel

Patrick Jones patrick.jones at icann.org
Wed Feb 26 02:43:37 UTC 2014

To Paul and the ITI Panel,

I had provided the following information to the Strategy Panel on ICANN's
Role in the Internet Governance Ecosystem (see
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/ioepanel/2014-January/000040.html). Vint
suggested that I should share this with the ITI Panel. The ICANN blog post
from 8 July 2013 on the historical uses of security terminology may be of
most use to this panel,
http://blog.icann.org/2013/07/icanns-security-terminology/.

On the substance of the report, I thought the panel was going to provide a
discussion of growth of DNS as underlying support for the connection of
devices (Internet of Things) across a global network, the size of data and
information being connected via the DNS. An explanation of risks and impacts
from reliance on the DNS to support Internet of Things, billions of mobile
devices would be a useful contribution from this panel (or future work to be
recommended).

Patrick

--
Patrick L. Jones
Senior Director, Global Stakeholder Engagement
patrick.jones at icann.org