[ksk-rollover] Starting discussion on acceptable criteria for proceeding with the root KSK roll

Eduardo Duarte eduardo.duarte at dns.pt
Fri Jan 5 18:12:39 UTC 2018

Hi there,

My half of cent to this discussion!
I agree with the people that say that we should roll ASAP. IMO, I still
think that the data that made ICANN stop the roll is very few and may
not have the relevance that we are giving it.

In my personal experience I was evangelizing the local community and the
first question that we got back as the roll was stoped was "Ok, and when
will it happen, now?". Not having a answer to give back was very
frustaiting and I got the feeling from the community that they trust and
interest on the subject. Loosing this momentum its a problem for me and
will make people not wanting to know about the subject any more in the
future.

Getting back to the point in discussion: So we need to provide ICANN
with a metric of what is accepteble for the roll to continue. IMO, this
will always need to be eyeballs and no  resolvers, so the efforts made
by kskroll-sentinel will be the more effetive in this measure. But one
question remains, will we have data in time for an effetive roll or will
we need to wait until 2020?

Best regards,

Eduardo