[ksk-rollover] Starting discussion on acceptable criteria for proceeding with the root KSK roll

Eduardo Duarte eduardo.duarte at dns.pt
Fri Jan 5 18:12:39 UTC 2018

Hi there,

My half of cent to this discussion!
I agree with the people that say that we should roll ASAP. IMO, I still
think that the data that made ICANN stop the roll is very few and may
not have the relevance that we are giving it.

In my personal experience I was evangelizing the local community and the
first question that we got back as the roll was stoped was "Ok, and when
will it happen, now?". Not having a answer to give back was very
frustaiting and I got the feeling from the community that they trust and
interest on the subject. Loosing this momentum its a problem for me and
will make people not wanting to know about the subject any more in the

Getting back to the point in discussion: So we need to provide ICANN
with a metric of what is accepteble for the roll to continue. IMO, this
will always need to be eyeballs and no  resolvers, so the efforts made
by kskroll-sentinel will be the more effetive in this measure. But one
question remains, will we have data in time for an effetive roll or will
we need to wait until 2020?

Best regards,

S Moonesamy escreveu às 10:03 de 05/01/2018:
> Hi Geoff,
> At 04:19 PM 04-01-2018, Geoff Huston wrote:
>> Carlos, (I'm asking because you posted a "me too") what is the data
>> set you are using to justify this call to be "over soon"? It seems
>> to me that in the absence of new data, the only changed factor is
>> your own appetite for risk. Without additional data, your tolerance
>> for risk appears to increase over time (*). But is this altered
>> personal perception of the risk sufficient motivation to proceed?
>> Objectively, if the numbers in September 2017 gave sufficient grounds
>> to pause, and the numbers haven't changed (**) then surely the
>> grounds for pausing the operation as as strong now as they were in
>> September (***).
> There is the following in the KSK rollover plan: "The Design Team is
> unaware of what specific objectives would be achieved by delaying a
> KSK roll".  The plan was put on hold because of the data from
> September 2017.  At the moment it is unknown if/when there will be a
> KSK roll.  Is not doing a KSK roll by 2020 [1] a viable option?
> Regards,
> S. Moonesamy
> 1. The date is based on a statement in the DPS.
> _______________________________________________
> ksk-rollover mailing list
> ksk-rollover at icann.org
> https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/ksk-rollover

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/pkcs7-signature
Size: 4634 bytes
Desc: Assinatura criptogr��fica S/MIME
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/ksk-rollover/attachments/20180105/f5cc5414/smime.p7s>

More information about the ksk-rollover mailing list