[ksk-rollover] Starting discussion on acceptable criteria for proceeding with the root KSK roll

S Moonesamy sm+icann at elandsys.com
Fri Jan 5 23:27:42 UTC 2018

Hi David,
At 02:12 PM 05-01-2018, David Conrad wrote:
>Speaking personally, I'm hoping we can do the
>rollover long before 2020. The key is for

I'll reply to the question at the end of your message; this is the statement:

   "Each RZ KSK will be scheduled to be rolled over through a key
    ceremony as required, or after 5 years of operation."

>  the community to provide some sort of guidance
> to the ICANN Org about how to move forward. So
> far, my impression is that to date, most of the
> input from this mailing list has been "do it
> now", implying we do NOT need to assess "the
> impact on users" (as mentioned in
> https://www.icann.org/news/blog/update-on-the-root-ksk-rollover-project).
> This means that the plan that will be published
> on 31 January for public comment will say the
> input we have received suggests the majority of
> contributors do not believe we need to take
> potential negative impact of the KSK rollover into account.

The discussion on this mailing list has been
about trust and uncertainty.  Is the potential
negative impact mentioned above about the "4% of
the approximately 12,000 DNSSEC-validating
resolvers"?  If so, has there been any discussion about the data?

Regards,
S. Moonesamy