[ksk-rollover] [Ext] Re: ICANN board meeting result and the Current status of KSK-Rollover

David Conrad david.conrad at icann.org
Wed Sep 19 06:50:32 UTC 2018

Stephane,

As you may have seen, the announcement for the board resolution has been posted (https://www.icann.org/resources/press-material/release-2018-09-18-en) and is referenced off the icann.org home page.

> On Sep 18, 2018, at 11:31 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 04:23:53PM +0200,
> Ramanou S. BIAOU <ramanou at biaou.net <mailto:ramanou at biaou.net>> wrote
> a message of 105 lines which said:
>
>> How does it apply at the local level of different countries? ISOC
>> chapters or local NOGs are used to better pass the information?
>
> I assume it will be our work (by, "our", I mean the people on this
> list and their friends and colleagues) to outreach and to distribute
> information as efficiently as posisble, depending on the local
> context. (For instance, I keep FRnOG, the french network operators
> group, up to date.)

In all honesty, thank you for your efforts.

> This takes time (and fight against skepticims such as "don't worry,
> they will cancel it at the last minute"). That's why it is important
> to have stable and firm information in advance, and that's why it is
> not serious that, a few weeks before the event, the ICANN board is
> still discussing the date.

Just for clarity, below is a list of some of the efforts ICANN has taken put together for the Board by ICANN’s communications team (and it does not include the “KSK preparedness survey” we sent to the contacts of 11,500+ ASes from which we received RFC 8145 data) . The fact that the Board made their decision when they did has in no way impacted our (and others') efforts at outreach and has to do more with the timing of Board activities than anything else. The only thing the Board decision has impacted in ICANN’s outreach efforts was was the use of the word “provisional”.

Regards,
-drc
P.S. Apologies if the below gets mangled: cut and paste from a Word doc run through ICANN mail servers.
1.     Media publications

As of this writing, 152 news stories about the KSK rollover, from all global regions, have been published. Some recent examples include:

·       ICANN CTO: no reason to delay KSK rollover <http://domainincite.com/23320-icann-cto-no-reason-to-delay-ksk-rollover> (English, Domain Incite, USA) - August 2018

·       ICANN Issues Guide on What to Expect During Root KSK Rollover <https://gallery.mailchimp.com/818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1/files/1f20693f-8e68-476a-8f7f-f89925b4f043/washingtoninternetdaily.com_ICANN_Issues_Guide_on_What_to_Expect_During_Root_KSK_Rollover.pdf> (English, Washington Internet Daily, USA) - August 2018

·       Global Internet Service Providers Should Be Ready: ICANN will complete key rotation <https://www.sohu.com/a/250814240_118392> (English, Economic Daily, China) - August 2018

 <>2.     Other communications efforts

Eleven blogs/announcements were published, since May 2016, relating to the root KSK rollover and each was accompanied by social media pushes.

22 August 2018 - ICANN Publishes Comprehensive Guide on What to Expect During the Root KSK Rollover <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2018-08-22-en>
18 July 2018- Minimal User Impact Expected From Root Zone Key Signing Key (KSK) Rollover <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/minimal-user-impact-expected-from-root-zone-key-signing-key-ksk-rollover>
1 February 2018 –  <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/announcing-draft-plan-for-continuing-with-the-ksk-roll>Announcing Draft Plan For Continuing With The KSK Roll <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/announcing-draft-plan-for-continuing-with-the-ksk-roll>
18 December 2017 –  <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/update-on-the-root-ksk-rollover-project>Update on the Root KSK Rollover Project <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/update-on-the-root-ksk-rollover-project>
4 October 2017 -  The Story Behind ICANN’s Decision to Delay the KSK Rollover <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/the-story-behind-icann-s-decision-to-delay-the-ksk-rollover>
7 September 2017 –  <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/attention-network-operators-and-isps-determine-your-readiness-for-the-root-zone-ksk-rollover>Attention Network Operators and ISPs: Determine your readiness for the Root Zone KSK Rollover <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/attention-network-operators-and-isps-determine-your-readiness-for-the-root-zone-ksk-rollover>! <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/attention-network-operators-and-isps-determine-your-readiness-for-the-root-zone-ksk-rollover>
12 July 2017 –  <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/a-key-milestone-in-protecting-the-dns>A “Key” Milestone in Protecting the DNS <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/a-key-milestone-in-protecting-the-dns>
13 March 2017 –  <https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/ksk-rollover>ICANN Launches Testing Platform for the KSK Rollover <https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/ksk-rollover>
27 October 2016 –  <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/ksk-rollover-operations-begin>KSK Rollover Operations Begin <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/ksk-rollover-operations-begin>
22 July 2016 –  <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/dnssec-rolling-the-root-zone-key-signing-key>DNSSEC: Rolling the Root Zone Key Signing Key <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/dnssec-rolling-the-root-zone-key-signing-key>
9 May 2016 –  <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/changing-the-keys-to-the-domain-name-system-dns-root-zone>Changing the Keys to the Domain Name System (DNS) Root <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/changing-the-keys-to-the-domain-name-system-dns-root-zone>
●      In August 2018, ICANN org published a Guide <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/ksk-rollover-expect-22aug18-en.pdf> on what to expect during the root KSK rollover. This guide has been translated into all UN languages and Portuguese, Japanese, and Korean. Also in August 2018, a social media paid campaign was launch into all UN languages, pointing to the Guide “What To Expect During the Root KSK Rollover”. You can see the message shared in English here <https://twitter.com/ICANN/status/1034138056435986432>. Additionally, a banner was placed in the homepage of icann.org pointing to that Guide.

●      In May 2018, the regional GSE teams sent a letter on behalf of David Conrad to Internet Exchange Points (IXP) administrators around the world.  The letter was translated and is available  <https://wecann.icann.org/groups/ksk/content>here <https://wecann.icann.org/groups/ksk/content> on weCANN (ICANN’s internal web site).

●      In October 2017, a  letter to all regulators and GAC representatives (that were contacted in June 2017 -see below) was  <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/marby-to-internet-telecomm-regulators-06oct17-en.pdf>sent to announce the postponement <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/marby-to-internet-telecomm-regulators-06oct17-en.pdf> of the root KSK rollover. A letter was sent (via IANA functions) to contacts for all Top-Level Domains informing them of the KSK rollover activity, requesting help in spreading the message, emphasizing that the activity does not impact their authoritative DNS services. Göran Marby sent a letter to telecommunications regulators in over 150 countries notifying them of the root KSK roll and asking them to contact network operators in their countries.

●      In April 2018, icann.org’s  <https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/ksk-rolloverG>dedicated resource page <https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/ksk-rolloverG> was updated in 9 languages for the new phase of the key roll along with the updated resource “Quick Guide: Prepare Your Systems for the Root KSK Rollover”.

●      Numerous pieces about the key roll were published in ICANN’s regional and meetings newsletters.

●      A deck was provided for external engagement efforts on the root KSK rollover (available in all UN languages and Portuguese on WeCANN).

3. Public Presentations

Since September 2016, the Global Stakeholder Engagement (GSE) and the Office of the Chief Technology Officer (OCTO) have been involved in 104 engagements that dealt with the KSK roll. Examples of presentations held in 2018 include:

Aug-18
APrIGF, Republic of Vanuatu
Aug-18
INNOG, India
Aug-18
SANOG, Bangladesh
Aug-18
FFGI in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso (Yaovi Atahoun)
Aug-18
iweek, Capetown, South Africa (Bob Ochieng)
Aug-18
South American LAC-i-Roadshow, Montevideo, Uruguay (Daniel Fink)
Aug-18
4ta Jornada de Tecnología y Seguridad DNS, Bogota, Colombia (Daniel Fink)
Jul-18
IX Fórum Regional do NIC.br, Goiânia, Brazil (Daniel Fink)
Jun-18
ENOG 15, Russia (Ed Lewis)
May-18
LACNIC 29, Panama (Andres Pavez)
May-18
EE Cert (Ed Lewis)
May-18
CENTR (Ed Lewis)
Apr-18
I2c webinar (Matt Larson)
Mar-18
DNS-OARC 28, Puerto Rico (Matt Larson)
Mar-18
ICANN 61 DNSSEC Workshop, Puerto Rico (Matt Larson)
Mar-18
ICANN 61 KSK Rollover Update, Puerto Rico (Matt Larson)
Mar-18
IETF, London (David Conrad)
Mar-18
U.S. Council for International Business, USA (Matt Larson)