[Latingp] Correction: Discussion of the Armenian GP request

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Tue Sep 22 21:03:24 UTC 2015

Paul,

Thank you for the clarifications, on today's conference call and on the
mailing list.

We have the general question of what, in addition to the base character
set specified in rfc1034/1035, drawing on earlier rfcs,
letters-digits-and-hyphen, is necessary for constructing labels, for
users of latin script.

Our work product will be of the form of some rules for the formation of
identifiers, constrained by the limitations on labels arising from the
IDNA work of 2003 and 2010.

There may be context-specific rules, perhaps for labels which originate,
or terminate, a sequence of labels, e.g., those labels published as part
of the IANA root zone and are composed of characters a single script as
defined in the current version of UNICODE.

What ever those context-specific rules may be, ours is the general
problem of identifiers expressed in the latin script, used to associate
resources at public addresses by the protocol defined in rfc1034/1035
and their successors. If a label is terminal, there may be
terminal-specific rules.

My understanding is that our peers in the Armenian GP have informed us
(via the "similar scripts" question in our common boiler-plate initial
document) that there are one or more glyphs common to the Armenian
script which are similar to one or more glyphs common to the Latin
script. In general this is probably not "news", as whatever the final
form of general rules we issue as our work product, our rules are likely
to "be aware" that homoglyphs exist, etc.

Eric Brunner-Williams
Eugene, Oregon