[Latingp] Repertoire and Latin Extended A

Meikal Mumin meikal.mumin at uni-koeln.de
Sun Jul 22 22:07:02 UTC 2018

Dear colleagues,

On 22 July 2018 at 21:49, Bill Jouris <bill.jouris at insidethestack.com>
wrote:

> Hi Mirjana,
>
> I've reviewed the repertoire we have (after adding Esperanto) and compared
> it to the Unicode table's Basic Latin, Latin-1 Supplement, and Latin
> Extended-A codepoints.
>
> The following entries from Latin-1 Supplement are included in MSR-2, but
> not included in our repertoire:
> 00FF    ÿ     Latin Small Letter Y with Diaeresis

This occurs rarely in personal names in German
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%B8#Franz%C3%B6sisch
and in French in place names amongst others (https://fr.wikipedia.org/
wiki/%C5%B8#Fran%C3%A7ais).

> The following entries from Latin Extended-A are included in MSR-3 but not
> included in our repertoire:
> 014F     ŏ   Latin Small Letter O with Breve
> 0157     ŗ    Latin Small Letter R with Cedilla
>
> FYI
> ÿ is listed in the ICANN LGRs for German and for English (much to my
> amazement, as I have never encountered it previously), but does not appear
> in Omniglot, nor in the Wikipedia alphabet referenced in the LGR, for
> either language.

A quick search did not yield any evidence for English, but German - see
above.

> ŏ is listed in the ICANN LGRs for German and for Spanish, but does not
> appear in Omniglot, nor in the Wikipedia alphabet referenced in the LGR,
> for either language.

A quick search did not yield any supporting evidence.

> ŗ is listed in the ICANN LGR for Latvian, but does not appear in Omniglot,
> nor in the Wikipedia alphabet referenced in the LGR.

This https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%96 says it was used historically in
Lativian. This https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latvian_orthography clarifies
that it is part of an older orthography still in use in diaspora
communities.

> LGR for language deu-Latn — German
> <https://www.icann.org/sites/default/files/packages/lgr/lgr-second-level-german-30aug16-en.html>
>
> LGR for language deu-Latn — German
>
> <https://www.icann.org/sites/default/files/packages/lgr/lgr-second-level-german-30aug16-en.html>

This is way  larger than the set of characters used in German, even taking
into consideration loans and borrowings from other languages. I would be
interested to know who developed this on what basis. Some sources are 404.

> <https://www.icann.org/sites/default/files/packages/lgr/lgr-second-level-german-30aug16-en.html>
>
> LGR for language eng-Latn — English
>
> <https://www.icann.org/sites/default/files/packages/lgr/lgr-second-level-english-30aug16-en.html>
>

> LGR for language eng-Latn — English