[Npoc-discuss] ICANN vs NameCheap IRP Decision on Price Cap for Dot ORG

Jean F. Quéralt JFQueralt at theiofoundation.org
Sat Jan 7 14:33:13 UTC 2023

Hi Caleb.

Thanks for the update and the links.

After reading them, I understand that the timeline of events would
summarize as follows?

- ICANN decided to remove the caps unilaterally.
- Namecheap said no no and filed a challenge.
- Caps were removed.
- IRP ruled that the removal was against ICANN Bylaws
- ICANN needs to revisit their decision following the recommendations from
the IRP
- Caps are still removed
- ICANN the revision will trigger to either keep the caps removed or
reinstate them

- No caps decision means no change in status so no much of a justification
to be made

- Reinstating the caps will require proper articulation (which at this
point will be harder/costly because of the due diligence)

>> So it seems that bringing back the caps is pretty much out of the table.

Am I reading this wrong?

Cheers.

Jean F. Queralt
Founder & CEO - The IO Foundation <http://www.TheIOFoundation.org>
Book a meeting <http://TIOF.Click/BookJFQ> (30 minutes)

On Sat, 7 Jan 2023 at 12:27, Caleb Olumuyiwa Ogundele via Npoc-discuss <
npoc-discuss at icann.org> wrote:

> Dear NCSG / NPOC Members,
>
> Earlier in 2019 a couple of conversations on price caps in the proposed
> renewal of .ORG Registry Agreement came up as a hot topic and there were
> lots of public comments on the implication of removing a price cap for the
> dor ORG.
>
> NPOC through the then Chair (Joan Kerr) submitted an open letter and
> public comment on NPOC's rejection of removing the price cap. (see the
> attachment to understand the context for those just catching up on the
> issue).
>
> NameCheap an ICANN registrar took ICANN to the  Independent Review
> Process (IRP) panel and a verdict/recommendations were made.
>
> The links below are public statements from both ICANN and Namecheap.
>
> *ICANN's Statement
> <https://www.namecheap.com/blog/namecheap-vs-icann-removal-of-price-caps-for-org-and-info-found-improper/>*
>
> https://www.icann.org/en/announcements/details/icann-receives-final-declaration-in-the-namecheap-independent-review-process-05-01-2023-en
>
> *NameCheap's Statement
> <https://www.namecheap.com/blog/namecheap-vs-icann-removal-of-price-caps-for-org-and-info-found-improper/>*
>
> https://www.namecheap.com/blog/namecheap-vs-icann-removal-of-price-caps-for-org-and-info-found-improper/
>
> I'm still searching for the IRP panel report but can't find it. So whoever
> finds it first should kindly share.
>

> Why this email: This is for our general information and to suggest that
> these issues should be one of the things we should watch out for and engage
> at the next ICANN meeting as I suspect this issue will always come back to
> the community for more conversational input.
>
>   --
> *Caleb Ogundele*
>
> Email: muyiwacaleb at gmail.com

**DISCLAIMER**
*The content of this message, which may contain personal or
sensitive data, is confidential. If you have received it by mistake, please
inform the sender by replying to the email and then permanently delete the
message, including any attachments. It is forbidden to copy, forward or in
any way reveal the content of this message to anyone. The integrity and
security of this email cannot be guaranteed over the Internet and,
therefore, the sender will not be held liable for any damage caused by the
message.*