[Npoc-discuss] Candidate statement for NPOC Chair

Juan Manuel Rojas jumaropi at yahoo.com
Thu May 23 18:56:02 UTC 2024

•Name: Juan Manuel Rojas Piedrahita

•Affiliation: Journalist/Podcaster (self-employed) and Entrepreneur,working at Minka Digital as Director, Scouts Colombia

•Position applied for: NPOCChair

•Why you are running for the position?:
As NPOC Chair, we have worked to improve ourmembership engagement through our sessions and webinars that we have led forNPOC and have spread to NCSG. As you should know, one year is a short period oftime to fulfill all of our expectations.

Wehave also worked to update the database of our membership and have identifiedthat less than 50 percent of organizations had their information correctlyupdated and their representatives' names. In terms of communication, we havebeen implementing automation tools to improve administrative tasks.

Asa team, our ExCom is now more visible in policy efforts because we have enabledsome of us to become active penholders and lead policy comment processes. Weare working together to ensure NPOC becomes a prominent and influential voicerepresenting not-for-profits within the ICANN ecosystem

Qualifications for the position:

Ihold a BA in Journalism and a Msc on Information Technology Management.  I have acquired self-study skills such asdesign website, systems architecture, cybersecurity and business architecture,programming languages like Python and Ruby, which lead to the InformationTechnology sector.

I have participated in ICANN  since early 2011when I was a member of the General Assembly for At-Large Latin American andCaribbean Regional Organizations (LACRALO). Since 2016 I have been involved inNot-for-Profit Operational Concerns Constituency (NPOC), as former PolicyCommittee member for Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group (NCSG), appointedExecutive Committee for NCSG  and member of New gTLD Subsequent ProceduresWorking Group. I also have participated as member in Working Groups such as:GNSO Drafting Team to Further Develop Guidelines and Principles for the GNSO’sRoles and Obligations as a Decisional Participant in the Empowered Committee,GNSO Locking of a Domain Name subject to UDRP and Next-Generation gTLDRegistration Directory Services to Replace Whois.

My experience has been serving on the ExecutiveCommittee of Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group  (NCSG) as well as theNot-for-Profit Operational Concerns Constituency (NPOC), I also served as CommunicationsChair and Membership Chair. I was elected as a GNSO Councilor from 2020 to 2022and Policy Chair.

Some of my academic experience includes myparticipation as a lecturer in academic events such as: ICEGOV (InternationalConference on Theory and Practice of Electronic Governance) organised by UnitedNation University - UNU, in China (2010) and Estonia (2011). Also, I have beenfellow of Internet Governance events and courses such as LACIGF (2011,2012 and2014), South School of Internet Governance and Internet Governance CapacityBuilding Program.

•Do you have any conflict(s) of interest?: None that I am aware
•How many hours per week you are able todedicate to the position: As I have demonstrated in previous years, thereis no minimum number of hours required for this position because I am willingto dedicate as many hours as necessary.

•Are you involved in any working Groups orPDP efforts, if so please state: Currently I am involved in Transfer PolicyReview IRT, and SubPro IRT. I am also member of Council Committee forOverseeing and Implementing Continuous Improvement (CCOICI).

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS, M.Sc.
Director - MINKA DIGITAL ColombiaNPOC Chair - NCSG/GNSO
M.Sc. Information Technology

Registered Linux User No.533108.
http://www.jmanurojas.com

Cel. +57 301 743 56 00