[RDS-WHOIS2-LawEnforcement] For reference - WHOIS Misuse Study

Lisa Phifer lisa at corecom.com
Fri Mar 23 05:32:31 UTC 2018

Dear Law Enforcement subgroup members,

Following up on a chat suggestion made during our last plenary call,
below please find the link to the WHOIS Misuse Study Final Report:

http://whois.icann.org/sites/default/files/files/misuse-study-final-13mar14-en.pdf

The goals of the WHOIS Misuse Study were much different than your
subgroup's goals in performing outreach to law enforcement agencies.
Nonetheless, I thought you might find it useful to consider the
portion of the Misuse Study which involved surveying a panel of law
enforcement contacts.

Refer to Section 4. Law Enforcement & Researchers survey on pages
18-26 and Appendix A for the methodology used by this study, survey
questions, and some challenges encountered. See also Section 3.1
Selecting a Survey Panel on pages 13-14 to learn about how CMU (the
university conducting this study under contract to ICANN) designed
and contacted its survey panel by utilizing CMU's law enforcement and
cybercrime researcher contacts.

I was ICANN's project interface with CMU for this study and would be
happy to answer any questions you may have about their approach.

Best, Lisa