[RDS-WHOIS2-RT-Leadership_Staff] Leadership call tomorrow 12:00 UTC?

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed May 16 00:46:36 UTC 2018

I have added Chris Disspain onto this e-mail thread.

Larisa, I must agree with Susan, and I do so on several grounds.

1. Although I and others were well aware of and shared the concern
over starting ATRT3, and that there were "11 reviews ongoing (or
whatever the number)", I was not in the faintest aware that halting
or altering the RDS-WHOIS2 RT was on the table. And to add insult to
this, we were not even given the slightest of early warning that this
would be done.

2. I believe the presentation in the document is not accurate. It
says "the Review Team planned to defer some of its work" whereas in
fact the ToR says that "the review team may choose to defer some or
all of its work in relation to the..." The work "MAY is critical as
we have not made any such decision. as reflected in the later
statement "Should any work be deferred". Moreover, I do not believe
that the financial details presented with the options are accurate
(although I never did receive the financial details that were asked
for ages ago).

3. Two of the three options call for some or all of our work to be
halted. At this point, our intent was to have much of the report and
recommendation locked in by the end of the planned F2F in July. Do
you really think this is motivation for us to "continue without any
interruption or change in course", knowing that we may end up with a
decision to largely scrap the work we are doing?

4. The document makes reference to us being a small RT and that is
accurate. But I suspect we may actually have more active people than
some of the larger RTs in the past.

Please don't get me wrong, I fought a strong battle to restrict the
work of this RT to just a review of the WHOIS1-RT recommendations,
and prior to that, to find the rationale for deferring the review
altogether. I lost. I still believe that either would have been a
wiser way to go. But we are where we are. To take this move now, and
without any discussion with the RT or its leadership, or even any
advance warning, was about as bad a move as I can imagine if ICANN
really values volunteer contributions and efforts.

If anyone on our team asks why we should continue working now if the
work may be effectively thrown away, I am not sure what my reply would be.

Perhaps this was felt to be a better way of doing things than to have
the Board unilaterally take action as it did for the SSR2 Review. It
certainly is different, but I have a hard time putting a label of
"better" on it.

Alan