[RDS-WHOIS2-RT] Comments about the Subgroup Report of Privacy/Proxy Services

SUN Lili L.SUN at interpol.int
Sun Jun 3 03:21:40 UTC 2018

Dear Privacy & Proxy subgroup members,

I went through the draft report of this subgroup on wiki page (https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=71604717) and step in with my concerns:

1.       To the Data Accuracy subgroup, the Whois accuracy of domain names that utilize Privacy and Proxy Services is invisible. And Volker also mentioned that this will be dealt with in the Privacy & Proxy subgroup. As such, I strongly support Susan’s comments on “6 Conducting periodic due diligence checks on customer contact information” and “8 Providing clear and unambiguous guidance on the rights and responsibilities of registered name holders, and how those should be managed in the privacy/proxy environment.” There is no reason for a customer who chose P/P service thus been protected from responsibilities.

2.       There is no indication about the legacy domain names that utilize P/P Services before the provider been accredited. Will it be a similar situation as Grandfathered domains?

3.       Like the example I gave during the 2nd F2F meeting, if there is not enough regulation and overseeing in place, P/P service is very likely to be abused. To be clear, I elaborated the example in a word document (see attached). Do we really need this kind of fake prosperity of domain industry?

A response from this subgroup is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lili

This message, and any attachment contained, are confidential and subject of legal privilege. It may be used solely for the designated police/justice purpose and by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. The information is not to be disseminated to another agency or third party without the author’s consent, and must not be retained longer than is necessary for the fulfilment of the purpose for which the information is to be used. All practicable steps shall be taken by the recipients to ensure that information is protected against unauthorised access or processing. INTERPOL reserves the right to enquire about the use of the information provided.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this message in error. In such a case, you should not print it, copy it, make any use of it or disclose it, but please notify us immediately and delete the message from any computer.