[RDS-WHOIS2-RT] Subgroup 4 Compliance draft report

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Mon Jun 18 15:25:42 UTC 2018

Hi Susan,

> 3.2.1.1 - Analysis, second paragraph: In my operative experience, the
> main reason for the cancellation or suspension of a domain name after
> receiving an inaccuracy complaint is nowhere near as nefarious as the
> subgroup assumed, but rather the fact that the registrant did not
> respond to the request of the registrar to either confirm or update
> his data. This can be due to the contact data on file being outdated,
> a reseller failing to forward the inquiry, This is an issue we should
> review if the reseller is not following through which would constitute
> noncompliance by Registrar.  the registrant failing to respond (mail
> ignored/seen as spam/overlooked/mailbox not main mailbox/etc) and
> things like that. As the
My point is that we reach out to the registrant and do not receive a
response. Why that is would be speculation. I just gave a few examples I
have heard of.
> RAA states unequivocally that a non-response within a certain time and
> as we do not have the time and ressources to chase after each such
> registrant, this usually causes: first the deactivation, then a call
> from an irate customer and then the re-instatement of the domain.
> Registrants often do not understand their responsibilities when
> registering a domain name which is something more communication by the
> Registrar could alleviate.  Of course, many registrants do not even
> notice the deactivation, for example if the domain is parked or unused.
We can only communicate so much before it becomes viewed as spam and
results in all our mails being discarded.

>     The sad fact of the matter is that this contractual requirement
>     causes at least as much harm for the registrants as it does
>     provide benefits for those interested in more accuracy. I
>     absolutely disagree with this statement and would fall into
>     category of you making an assumption, as you have accused me in
>     the following paragraphs, unless you can provide hard data on this.

Here is an article based on a study done by the RRSG regarding suspended
domain names due to the RAA reqs:
http://domainincite.com/16963-a-million-domains-taken-down-by-email-checks

>     I hope that we can update the analysis to move out of the realm of
>     speculation did you read all the ARS reports?  and more into the
>     realm of

I reviewed all of them, but I have not read every word therein due to
time constraints. The latest one was a good read though, with very good
contactibility numbers.

>     experience based evidence. My analysis is experience based but not
>     YOUR experience.   The only domain names I would bother to file an
>     inaccuracy report on are those that are already acting in an
>     abusive manner.  I have no interest in a domain name record that
>     is not abusive.

That is ther main problem of perspective, since you will from your line
of work see more problematic domains than I would, skewing the perceived
size of the issue. If you only look for abusers, that is what you will
find. I see the by-catch as well, the domain owners trapped by the
requirements that have done nothing wrong with their use of the domain
but still got caught for having problematic data in whois.

>     And by that, I am not disputing that there are also cases where
>     the record was intentionally false. But in my experience, these
>     make up less than 10% of the cases I see. Please provide data on
>     your 10% assumption.

This is entirely based on experience of looking at our whois complaints
queue over time, as I stated above. In most cases the problem with the
record was a result of an oversight, outdated data, or other issues, not
a malicious use of false data. These exist too, but do not make out the
bulkl of complaints we receive for incorrect data.

>     As for the issues following from that earlier assumption: While
>     the registrar has the ability to unsuspend at any time, ICANN
>     compliance will follow up on such cases and demand the same type
>     of evidence they would ask for in a case where the registrant
>     updated his whois details. So i am not really sure this actually
>     is an issue...We should clarify with compliance whether this is an
>     issue.

Agreed.

>     Second issue: I am not actually sure that there are more
>     suspensions for abuse than for nonpayment for example. What data
>     was used to determine that statement that "most of them (occur)
>     for abusive activity"? My personal experience and analysis but if
>     a registrant never steps forward to rectify inaccurate data on a
>     suspended domain name please let me know what other conclusions
>     could be made. Or is this

I gave numerous examples of why a domain may have been suspended that
have nothing to do with abusive use.
But the main issue is that personal experience is not a goodf basis for
an overall statement and I accept that this applies to my own
perspective as well. We should base our statements more on cold, hard
data, not just experience.
So the above statement should read: *"with an unkown percentage of them
occurring due to abusive activity*".

>     speculation and assumptions again? I worked very hard on reviewing
>     all the reports and developing a sound analysis so let's change
>     the rhetoric and stop the name calling.  It is not fruitful or
>     helpful. This may be a language barrier but I take offense that
>     your analysis is correct and my is speculation and assumptions.

As I stated above, my perspective is differentm, but likely biassed as
well. _That_ is why we need to base our statements on data, not just
experience. See also: Analogy of the 10 blind men and the elephant.

> My flight is taking off so will have to finish my responses once the
> wifi works.
> I am very concerned that I will not be on this call so that we could
> have had a reasonable dialogue.
No rush, we will have time to discuss later. I am fine with neutral
language and fact based statements.