[RDS-WHOIS2-RT] ICANN Proposal to adjust scope of RDS-WHOIS2-RT

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu May 17 14:57:31 UTC 2018

I don't think it is a Bylaws problem because they
do add that we have to agree. Although I suspect
we would agree, although with a lot of bad
feelings, but I did ask Larisa what wuld happen
if we did NOT agree. Would we still have funding
and support to continue? And she said they had not thought about that...

I agree that this is a diversion that we could
have done without and it will take resources, at
least at the leadership level.

Alan

At 17/05/2018 09:09 AM, Cathrin.BAUER-BULST at ec.europa.eu wrote:
>I think this raises a bylaws point. This is a
>review mandated by the Bylaws, which even set a
>time frame for its regular occurrence. Now
>putting it up for Community discussion whether
>we're having this review, whether it should
>change its scope or whether it should stop for a
>while, essentially puts the bylaws requirement
>up for Community discussion. We as individuals
>may serve "at the pleasure of the community" but
>the process itself is not at the disposal of any
>public consultation, so I believe this whole
>exercise is legally on not very sound footing.
>
>And this idea that we then agree or disagree
>with the outcome of the public consultation
>seems courageous to me, in the "Yes Minister"
>sense – so what is the point off the exercise if
>we then just get to ignore the Community view if
>we so please? To help us make an informed
>decision on options that we never thought of
>ourselves or were invited to have a say in in
>the first place but that someone has
>benevolently designed in an effort to reduce our
>workload? I think we should participate in the
>webinar (we may be the only ones given that
>other RDS/WHOIS mess) and explain this.
>
>But I should be working on surveys instead of
>commenting on this mess
 that much for workload reduction.