[RDS-WHOIS2-Safeguard] Request from Safeguard SG

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Jun 13 14:44:30 UTC 2018

Team,

I have reviewed the Escrow agreement. I belive
that it provides adequate specifications for
proper storage and transmission of data
(expressions such as "commercially reasonable
efforts and industry standard safeguards").

One question I might want to ask is to what
extent is stored data accessible from outside
their facility (ie is it well protected by
firewalls, or not physically connected). Not sure
whether this is really required though. I know
traditionally organization such as the US CIA had
rules that highly confidential data not be stored
on machines with any external connection. I
suspect the data we are referring to is neither
at that level of confidentialiity and besides,
network security has gotten somewhat better.

It also includes requirements to separate escrow
activities from other domain-name activities, but
the presence of such clauses implies that
theremay be the possibility of an internal
breach, even if the data is reasonably protected from external access.

However, I see no requirement to notify ICANN or
the Registrar/Registry in the event of a breach
and I believe that we should recommend such a requirement.

Please comment on whether you agree with such a
recommendation and on whether we need to talk to
providers regarding physical connectivity.

Alan