[rssac-caucus] On versioning our documents

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at icann.org
Tue Nov 17 21:47:49 UTC 2015

Greetings. This might sound really weenie, but it turns out to be
important in the long run. I propose that from now on, we alway publish
our documents as "RSSAC 0xx version 1". It is impossible to predict when
will or will not need a version 2 (and beyond). If someone says "see RSSAC
0xx", that should always mean "the highest version number of 0xx", not
"exactly the one numbered 0xx".

The issues in 002 version 2 are not that big but NIST (the US government
standards department that creates cryptographic standards) has had *huge*
headaches when they have published revisions because Google still refers
to the base version, not the most recent one.

--Paul Hoffman