[rssac-caucus] Opening RSSAC-002 for revision [AXFR]

John Bond john.bond at icann.org
Wed Oct 21 09:34:02 UTC 2015

On 20/10/2015 22:28, "rssac-caucus-bounces at icann.org on behalf of Romeo
Zwart" <rssac-caucus-bounces at icann.org on behalf of romeo.zwart at ripe.net>
wrote:

>Hi Ray,
>
>On 15/10/20 20:08 , Ray Bellis wrote:
>> On 20/10/2015 17:58, Romeo Zwart wrote:
>>
>>> Please keep in mind that for this particular metric 'consistent results
>>> across all operators' are not necessarily to be expected. As RSSAC-002
>>> itself also explains, the goal of providing this metric was "to detect
>>> any trends in the growth of the zone". Of course serious issues like
>>> truncated zone files are a different thing altogether, but size
>>> differences related to compression differences could occur.
>>
>> In between the text Duane quoted, and what you've quoted above, RSSAC002
>> says:
>>
>> "The size of the compiled root zone is not expected to change from
>> operator to operator; but in an effort to ensure consistency in the root
>> system all operators should report the size of the root zone so if there
>> are any differences that are seen on the platform they can be identified
>> and remedied."
>>
>> To my reading that very much looks like an expectation of consistent
>> results across all operators.
>
>Indeed, that part of the text reads like it. However, the original
>intention of adding this metric was a different one, as the part that I
>quoted illustrates.
I agree with romeo here, this measurement and the whole of the RSSAC002
document was, to mt knowlage, intended to measure the impact of scaling
the root zone and is not intended as a consistency check.. I would also
like to echo Duane's comment.  This was discussed at length during the
document draft, unfortunately the archives don't go back that far but i
could forward relevant mails of list if people are interested.

John