[rssac-caucus] Opening RSSAC-002 for revision [AXFR]

Romeo Zwart romeo.zwart at ripe.net
Tue Oct 20 21:28:29 UTC 2015

Hi Ray,

On 15/10/20 20:08 , Ray Bellis wrote:
> On 20/10/2015 17:58, Romeo Zwart wrote:
>
>> Please keep in mind that for this particular metric 'consistent results
>> across all operators' are not necessarily to be expected. As RSSAC-002
>> itself also explains, the goal of providing this metric was "to detect
>> any trends in the growth of the zone". Of course serious issues like
>> truncated zone files are a different thing altogether, but size
>> differences related to compression differences could occur.
>
> In between the text Duane quoted, and what you've quoted above, RSSAC002
> says:
>
> "The size of the compiled root zone is not expected to change from
> operator to operator; but in an effort to ensure consistency in the root
> system all operators should report the size of the root zone so if there
> are any differences that are seen on the platform they can be identified
> and remedied."
>
> To my reading that very much looks like an expectation of consistent
> results across all operators.

Indeed, that part of the text reads like it. However, the original
intention of adding this metric was a different one, as the part that I
quoted illustrates.

I have the impression that we are trying to overload root zone size with
a misunderstood content verification function. BTW, wasn't there this
great DNS security technology, deployed to the root roughly 5-6 years
ago, that had to do with securing DNS zone content?

Cheers,
Romeo