[rssac-caucus] NSID or other identifying support by rootops?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Mon Sep 21 19:24:57 UTC 2015

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 2:58 PM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at icann.org> wrote:
> Greetings again. In a definitely non-exhaustive survey, it appears that F,
> H, K, and L respond to the EDN0 NSID (RFC 5001) query.
>
> 1) Are there others that do so, at least on some of their hosts?
>
> 2) Are there rootops who do per-host identification in some other way?
>
> 3) Is this an appropriate topic for the RSSAC Caucus?

I think one of the questions is "should rootops expose this information" ?

I can see 2 sides:
1: it makes debugging easier ("My latency to f.root-servers.net just
went from 22ms to 143ms?! Oh, I'm now hitting the node in Timbuktu...
", "The I root node in Uzbekistan is returning 123.123.123.1 for
queries that contain www.facebook.com... hmmmm...." )

2: it *may* make attackers lives easier -- could attackers try select
bots that all hit a specific node to disrupt in a specific area?

Personally I think that the information should be made available, but
I'm not really sure, nor do I know if this is something that RSSAC
should have a view on or if it should be left to each operator.
I'm wondering if this has already been discussed in RSSAC? I don't
remember seeing it on the Caucus list...