[rssac-caucus] NSID or other identifying support by rootops?

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at icann.org
Mon Sep 21 19:33:53 UTC 2015

On 9/21/15, 12:27 PM, "rssac-caucus-bounces at icann.org on behalf of Jaap
Akkerhuis" <rssac-caucus-bounces at icann.org on behalf of jaap at NLnetLabs.nl>
wrote:

> Paul Hoffman writes:
>
> > Greetings again. In a definitely non-exhaustive survey, it appears
>that F,
> > H, K, and L respond to the EDN0 NSID (RFC 5001) query.
> >
> > 1) Are there others that do so, at least on some of their hosts?
>
>I think at least I does.

Ah, I see that now from a different location.

> > 2) Are there rootops who do per-host identification in some other way?
>
>I seem to remember that K answers the usual CHAOS hostname.bind queries,
>other might do
>as well. And vaguely remembers others to do so.

It doesn't seem to be interesting if a rootop does both the standard way
(NSID) and some non-standard way. It would be interesting if a rootop only
does it in a non-standard way.

>> 3) Is this an appropriate topic for the RSSAC Caucus?
>
>I'm not sure where you hint at. Is there something to discuss here?

I'm not hinting at anything; I am really wondering if this is an
appropriate topic for the Caucus. If people here find identification
important for rootops to do, the Caucus can put together a recommendation.
If people here don't find it important, than there's no need for
discussion.

--Paul Hoffman