[rssac-caucus] NSID or other identifying support by rootops?

John Heidemann johnh at isi.edu
Tue Sep 22 16:18:18 UTC 2015

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 19:33:53 -0000, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>On 9/21/15, 12:27 PM, "rssac-caucus-bounces at icann.org on behalf of Jaap
>Akkerhuis" <rssac-caucus-bounces at icann.org on behalf of jaap at NLnetLabs.nl>
>wrote:
>
>> Paul Hoffman writes:
>>
>> > Greetings again. In a definitely non-exhaustive survey, it appears
>>that F,
>> > H, K, and L respond to the EDN0 NSID (RFC 5001) query.
>> >
>> > 1) Are there others that do so, at least on some of their hosts?
>>
>>I think at least I does.
>
>Ah, I see that now from a different location.
>

>> > 2) Are there rootops who do per-host identification in some other way?
>>
>>I seem to remember that K answers the usual CHAOS hostname.bind queries,
>>other might do
>>as well. And vaguely remembers others to do so.
>
>It doesn't seem to be interesting if a rootop does both the standard way
>(NSID) and some non-standard way. It would be interesting if a rootop only
>does it in a non-standard way.

The following paper looked at using CHAOS queries and other techniques
(traceroute, etc.)  to locate anycast instances:

Xun Fan, John Heidemann, and Ramesh Govindan.
  Evaluating Anycast in the Domain Name System.
  In _Proceedings of the IEEE Infocom_.
  Turin, Italy, IEEE.
  April, 2013.
  <http://www.isi.edu/~johnh/PAPERS/Fan13a.html>.

I went back to look about rfc5001---the paper says "RFC-5001 is not yet
widely supported".  The work in the paper ran 2011 to 2012, FWIW.

>>> 3) Is this an appropriate topic for the RSSAC Caucus?
>>
>>I'm not sure where you hint at. Is there something to discuss here?
>
>I'm not hinting at anything; I am really wondering if this is an
>appropriate topic for the Caucus. If people here find identification
>important for rootops to do, the Caucus can put together a recommendation.
>If people here don't find it important, than there's no need for
>discussion.

The topic is about DNS and so is relevant, but...  about "put together a
recommendation":  A recommendation about what, exactly?  Framing some
problem (even if that framing evolves) seems important before embarking
on some course of activity.

   -John Heidemann