[rssac-caucus] NSID or other identifying support by rootops?

George Michaelson ggm at apnic.net
Tue Sep 22 16:31:42 UTC 2015

FWIW I think its relevant.

I remember the debate(s) in the older informal RSSAC caucus and it pretty
much came down to 'useful but not obligatory' with the usual debate between
benefits when things are going wrong, vs risks of take-down one-by-one when
the bad people work out where the smaller nodes are.

A lot of the discussion back in those days appeared to revolve around
finding language to 'recommend' things without appearing to imply anything
was mandated or required or had contractual force. I don't know if we're in
a world where that kind of thing matters any more for this group but I'd
prefer those questions are distinct from the utility question:

        Is it useful to ask roots to implement a mechanism
        to identify which node answers a query?

I think it is. I appreciate other people may put stronger weight on the
risk side, but I think its useful.

-G