[rssac-caucus] NSID or other identifying support by rootops?

Bruce E. Crabill bcrabill at umd.edu
Tue Sep 22 21:22:43 UTC 2015

On Sep 22, 2015, at 2:36 PM, Colin Petrie <cpetrie at ripe.net<mailto:cpetrie at ripe.net>> wrote:

(PS those maps are for hostname.bind/id.server, not NSID, because
hostname.bind seems more supported than NSID)

The problem with RFC 5001 (NSID) is that it explicitly did not define the payload of the option. If every root op did their own thing, it is going to make it pretty hard to do a cross the board solution.  D currently uses id.server as well. I could see us also using NSID, but probably using private (and potentially encrypted) data. I see NSID as more of a trouble shooting tool within a given RSO and not necessarily for the general public.