[rssac-caucus] NSID or other identifying support by rootops?

Colin Petrie cpetrie at ripe.net
Tue Sep 22 22:06:41 UTC 2015

On 22/09/15 23:22, Bruce E. Crabill wrote:
> The problem with RFC 5001 (NSID) is that it explicitly did not define
> the payload of the option. If every root op did their own thing, it is
> going to make it pretty hard to do a cross the board solution.  D
> currently uses id.server as well.

As far as I can see, hostname.bind is already across the board on the
root name servers.

> I could see us also using NSID, but
> probably using private (and potentially encrypted) data. I see NSID as
> more of a trouble shooting tool within a given RSO and not necessarily
> for the general public.

Indeed, this is generally true for any DNS operator. Currently it looks
like some operators put the node name into the NSID but that's probably
just habit and for consistency with the hostname.bind :)

I'm sure there are much more imaginative uses for NSID (many of which
are detailed in RFC5001). I'd love to know if anyone sees or uses NSIDs
in the wild that are actually binary data rather than obviously textual.

(And no I haven't gone digging through the Atlas data yet for that ;-) -
just wondering if anyone already has seen such things)

Cheers
Colin

--
Colin Petrie