[rssac-caucus] How It Works: Root Server Operation | Adobe Connect: Full

Daniel Karrenberg daniel.karrenberg at ripe.net
Tue Mar 8 18:50:53 UTC 2016

[message really to RSSAC members who find themselves on such a podium,
but for full transparency on this list]

The same old questions. The same old imperfections in root-ops/RSSAC
answers. My favorite two:

Root zone distribution times: root ops are understandably proud of the
short zone update times. And now we even publish them. However it is
important to manage expectations here. When answering this question it
is important to mention what the worst case is and that it is a
consequence of the very distributed nature of the root server system;
that is an engineering choice made for the resiliency benefits it
brings. I always add that even 24h delay is not really a problem *for
TLDs*. This is not about end-user domains. TLD operators oerate in a
much more stable environment; most of the delay is in the update process
itself and its required checks. A TLD op that depends on a-la-minute
updates is doing something wrong.

Accountability: It is important to always mention that root ops are
accountable to their respective organisations. So there is no lack of
accountability. It is just not centralised. That is often just assumed.
  It is only after that existing accountability has been mentioned that
one should talk about reputation and loss of it and that the
organisations are significant enough to care. I always mention that
centralised accountability is a single point of failure, which is what
we want to avoid. Resiliency again. It is important to slowly and
carefully walk thru this argiment each and every time.

Daniel