[rssac-caucus] Tweaks to RSSAC-002

Shane Kerr shane at time-travellers.org
Thu Sep 1 03:16:50 UTC 2016

John,

At 2016-08-31 13:26:16 +0000
John Bond <john.bond at icann.org> wrote:

> On 31/08/2016 10:42, Shane Kerr wrote:
> >
> > Yes, but it explicitly doesn't say that it should be done every day.
> > I'm not sure why L is behind - it could be a policy, could be an
> > accident of the design, or it could be a bug. In any case, it means
> > that any comparisons within the 1-6 day time frame will be a bit skewed
> > since L is not in there (a pity since L is quite a busy server).
> >
> The one week delay is intentional.  We have roughly 150 nodes, some of
> which may occasionally have issues connecting to our centralized storage
> and processing server, even though they are able to server DNS in there
> local area without interruption.  This delay accounts for any temporary
> connectivity issue between the edge nodes and our central processing
> server as well as any scheduled maintenance that may delay transmission
> of the raw data from the edge nodes.
>
> We are constantly looking at ways to decrease the delay, however we need
> to balance the requirement for timely vs accurate data.

Okay, it makes complete sense. Certainly the large number of nodes is a
part of why L gets so much traffic.

Does it make sense to document the delay in RSSAC-002? Well, not the
entire explanation, but rather something like "Data is usually published
within 7 days."

Otherwise anyone using the data will have to do the same comparisons
that I did and wonder about what they should be expecting. :)

Cheers,

--
Shane