[rssac-caucus] FOR REVIEW: Elements of Potential Root Operators

Wes Hardaker hardaker at isi.edu
Wed Sep 7 15:10:38 UTC 2016

Alejandro Acosta <alejandro at lacnic.net> writes:

>   I think it's a good idea to add one more sentence with something like: ".... "  "
> <LETTER>.root-servers.org or whatever other naming architecture appears.
>
>   My rationale is that in the future there is chance of
> root-servers.org to change, right?

That makes sense to me and is a wise suggestion.  I might pick "or other
appropriate name" for simplicity.

> 2) Is it fair to ask the operator to keep up to date their software and be willing to adapt to new
> changes?.  I think it's not mention in the document (sorry if it's and I missed it).  For example
> something like this might happen: suppose the operator have an OS that does not support IDN?, or
> firewalls that refuses EDNS or AAAAs?

That's probably a good point too.  3.6.4 describes needing to be open
and to participate, but does not ask them to agree to follow the current
trends with respect to the distribution requirements itself.

[note that I'm not sure the OS requiring IDN support is needed; we only
care about the service as seen from the external point of view to the DNS server]

--
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI