[rssac-caucus] Handing the anonymization document off to RSSAC

Ray Bellis ray at isc.org
Mon Apr 9 20:27:30 UTC 2018

On 09/04/2018 19:34, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> Greetings again. We've kind of lost momentum on the "Recommendations
> on Anonymization Processes for Source IP Addresses Submitted for
> Future Analysis" document. I have made one more round of edits, and
> think that it is probably ready to send to RSSAC.

For IPv6 we're proposing to zero at the /48 boundary, not /64

I'm also not sure about this sentence:

> IPv4 addresses that have all zeros for their last byte are not
> anonymized.

Arguably, they are, because the person reading the data cannot know
whether they started out as zero or not.

It's also unusual to allocate x.x.x.0 because too many firewalls
incorrectly assume that addresses ending in .0 are "network addresses"
and therefore not legal hosts.

Ray