[rssac-caucus] [Ext] Handing the anonymization document off to RSSAC

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Apr 12 21:21:09 UTC 2018

Birthday collisions make my brain hurt -- I got into a shouting match
one with Dan Harkins where I was claiming that with 32 bits of random
MAC address and 2000 stations you would basically never have a
collision; he disagreed...

In a fit of pique I wrote a small AppEngine app to prove him wrong --
and did exactly the opposite -- with 32bits of random and 2000
stations you will get a collisions roughy once every 2150 times - app
is here if people want to play:
http://mac-collision-probability.appspot.com/calculate
We had a similar discussion on IPv6 - slightly tweaked code here:
http://ipv6-collision-probability.appspot.com/calculate

Sometime I'll tweak this to do something other than bitlengths, and to
report how many collisions there would be...

Funnily enough, Wes and I were driving to the San Jose NANOG a few
months back, and stopped in a niceish restaurant for dinner. There
were roughly 30 other people -- and while we were there there were 2
groups of people celebrating birthdays (cake, singing, etc). It was
only after we left that Wes point out that this was the archetype
Birthday Paradox example :-) [0].

[0]: Yes yes, I know that this isn't representative - people go out to
dinner to celebrate which biases the results, some other people might
also have been having birthdays and didn't cake and singing, the
groups who were (obviously) celebrating may have had their birthdays a
fews days back / in the future, etc. Great, now you've ruined it, hope
you are happy...