[rssac-caucus] [Ext] Handing the anonymization document off to RSSAC

Brian Dickson brian.peter.dickson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 20:04:38 UTC 2018

Apologies -- for top-posting a response, and for being late to the
"party"...

If I understand correctly the root of the issue is the privacy concern of
data that contains both source IP addresses and DNS QNAMEs in queries. And
specifically being able to recover original data from published anon...
data?

The document talks (only) of anonymizing (a11g)  the source IP (v4 and v6)
addresses. Has any discussion on instead doing something similar to the
QNAMEs?

The underlying problem(s) still exist, in terms of use of "secrets" for
doing the coordinated a11g the data between a largish set of operators.
However, I thing the QNAMEs, being a much more diverse set of data, have
better privacy characteristics after a11g.
(And for ease of processing and correlating, I think the QNAME portion that
should be handled via a11g, is the stuff excluding the TLD portion of the
QNAME. Possibly map NULL to NULL for queries doing QNAME minimization too?)

To be clear, what I'm talking about is KEEPING the original source
addresses, and ONLY a11g the QNAMEs. Perhaps the use of a daily nonce plus
hash works. E.g. nonces shared or used only when DITL sets are
published/shared, and the nonces subsequently destroyed? Maybe centralizing
the nonce/hashing, and maybe using a suitable secured processing facility,
and/or "certified" set-ups if bigger players want to offload some of the
effort, would address any of the residual security issues/concerns on the
published data. (NTP sync is obviously presumed if the correlation is to be
done with daily nonces.)

Obviously all of the providers of data would generally still keep the
originals, but there would not be a need for that to be kept in any common
(centralized) location shared by the DITL participants.

Thoughts?

Does this do a better job than the IP a11g?

Brian