[rssac-caucus] FOR REVIEW: RSSAC FAQ

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Feb 9 13:28:24 UTC 2018

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 5:51 AM, Andrew Mcconachie
<andrew.mcconachie at icann.org> wrote:
> Dear RSSAC Caucus Members,
>
> On behalf of the RSSAC please find the RSSAC FAQ attached for your review.
> Please provide comments/edits to the list or in the document by February
> 23rd, 2018.

Alright, comments:
1: The first entry has a lot of interesting, nicely written history on
why there were 13. At the end of the answer it says that the original
"limit" no longer applies -- this immediately raises the "so, if the
limit has been removed, why aren't there 17? 42? 387? I think an
additional few sentences clarifying that the limit no longer apples,
but that we don't need more than 13 because of reasons...

3: I find the answer to 3 to be unsatisfactory -- the answer doesn't
really answer the question asked.
DNSSEC protects individual data, but if an RSO downloads a zonefile
which is truncated, or signatures don't validate, DNSSEC is very
unlikely to solve this. Pointing out that DNSSEC saves resolvers from
**believing**  corrupt data would be good, but I think pointing at
TSIG here would be a really good addition. "The transfer of the
zonefile is protected with TSIG, but even in the unlikely event the
file were to become corrupted after transfer, <dnssec, dnssec>."

11: This starts off really well, but many people will not actually
analyze the traffic. I suspect a short insertion of "the vast vast
majority of your DNS traffic is either answered out of your local
cache, or is for names below the root. The TTL on most TLDs is
<number>, a vanishingly small amount of your queries get answered by
root servers. <data>" -- many of the "but i need a local root" people
I've spoken with seem to believe that all of their queries touch the
root, and so 100ms sounds bad (but 1 in a <large number> of queries
needing 100ms sounds fine). Perhaps a pointer to Q24 would help?

20: The answer doesn't really seem related to the question. There was
also a proposal a while back for a shared anycast address for root
servers, so anyone *could* do this (al la AS112). I think this answer
needs much rewriting / work.

I find the last set of answers inadequate.

22: Time requirements.
If I asked this question, and got this answer, I'd not be satisfied --
it feels evasive / incomplete. If I asked this and got this as an
answer I'd feel that you are not answering because you don't want me
to apply.

How many hours would you **like** RSSAC Caucus members to be
contributing? If I wanna join the caucus, but can only contribute 15
minutes a year, is that useful? Do most caucus members work on RSSAC
stuff 35 hours a week?
Yes, different people contribute different amounts, and it is bursty,
but the above answers feel like: