[rssac-caucus] FOR REVIEW: Harmonizing the Anonymization of Queries to the Root

Wessels, Duane dwessels at verisign.com
Tue Feb 13 22:59:33 UTC 2018

Andrew,

Thank you and the work party for this document.  I think it will prove to be useful.

I'm attaching a copy of the doc with my comments.

In addition I would really like to see some kind of summary (table perhaps) that presents the following for the various techniques:

- advantages / disadvantages
- cryptographic strength (I realize this could be difficult since not all are well-studied at this point).
- efficiency (i.e. CPU time to anonymize some amount of (DITL) data).
- whether or not "decryption with the same key" is a property of the technique
- known implementations

Also I would like to better understand if the different techniques have any different cryptographic properties when there is at least one known true -> anonymized mapping.  I think we should assume it is trivial for a consumer of the anonymized data to inject beacon queries that would enable them to know the anonymized value of a specific source IP.

DW