[rssac-caucus] FOR REVIEW: Harmonizing the Anonymization of Queries to the Root

Wessels, Duane dwessels at verisign.com
Wed Feb 14 23:17:05 UTC 2018

I was really curious how the different proposed techniques compared to each other in the way that they scramble/anonymize source IP addresses.  So I took a pcap file of DNS traffic and ran it through each algorithm, then visualized the output as a hilbert-curve heatmap.  I ran each algorithm 10 times to see how it changes depending on the secret/key.

I asked Wes to create a github repository in the rssac-caucus account and I've uploaded the results here:

https://github.com/rssac-caucus/anonymization-harmonization/tree/master/heatmaps

The PNG images are quite large (4096x4096) so you may need to download and/or zoom in to see some of the detail.  Maybe this will be helpful for others and I'm happy to answer any questions about it.

DW