[RSS GWG] VOTE: RSS GWG Chair

Carlos Reyes carlos.reyes at icann.org
Tue Mar 24 18:35:47 UTC 2020

Dear Luis, Peter, Kurt, Hanyu, Ted, Geoff, Hiro, Lars-Johan, Brad, and Joe,

Please vote for the RSS GWG chair here: https://doodle.com/poll/4f7bddvk42atrx3b

The voting period will end on Friday, 27 March at 17:00 Pacific Daylight Time (UTC-7). I will send reminders based on participation and announce the result as soon as all ten votes are recorded.

There are two candidates (nomination statements are below for your reference): Ted Hardie and Brad Verd. This ballot has three options: both candidates and “abstain”.

Naela, Lito, Tripti, and Duane, please remember that liaisons do not vote. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.

Best,
Carlos

Ted Hardie

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/rssgwg/2020-March/000016.html

I am willing to serve as chair.  I am also happy, of course, to support any
other chair who should be selected.

I note that I am currently the chair of the IAB, but that I will cease to
be its chair later this month, when I rotate off the the IAB at IETF 107.
As a result, I don't think I would have any conflicts of interest in
serving the role, though I should disclose that I am a candidate for the
ISOC BoT, nominated by the organizational members.

I have experience, both as IAB chair and as chair of a variety of other
technical groups, in seeking consensus and managing working group processes
to achieve it.   Within Google, my role is to influence technical teams
rather than to run them, and I take much the same approach to serving as a
chair.  It's not the job of the chair to rule the roost, but simply to make
sure that the work gets done to achieve the goals set out for it.  Part of
that is making sure all the perspectives are heard and considered and part
of it is making sure that the contemplation gets matched to action.

There is a short bio at: https://www.iab.org/about/iab-members/, and I'm
also happy to provide a CV or answer questions if that is desired.

regards,

Ted

Brad Verd
https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/rssgwg/2020-March/000020.html

Dear Colleagues:

For those who I have not yet had the opportunity to work closely with, my name is Brad Verd, and I am the VP of DNS Operations at Verisign.  I have been directly involved with Root Server Operations for 20+ years, most recently serving the RSSAC in various leadership positions.  Under my tenure as Co-Chair of the RSSAC, we authored and published the RSSAC037/038, and worked tirelessly to bring full consensus support behind that document and its recommendations.  I believe my passion for enhancing accountability for root operators/operations and ensuring we are all good stewards of the Internet strengthened the RSSAC work and could benefit this group as well.  In addition, my effective cross-community consensus building skills, and solid communication skills would allow me to be a strong chair and facilitator for this group.  I would be honored to serve this group as Chair as we work together to finalize a Root Server System Governance Model, and if not elected I look forward to fully supporting the Chair as we pursue the GWG deliverables.

Cheers,
Brad

Carlos Reyes

Strategic Policy Planning Director