[RZERC] Possible scenarios to take up or turn down

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Aug 21 18:43:44 UTC 2017

> On 21 Aug 2017, at 18:34, Howard Eland <heland at afilias.info> wrote:
>
> Possible list of topics the RZERC committee should review:
>
> - Introduction of RRTYPEs not previously included in the root zone (this would cover DNSSEC in the past).
> - Changes which would cause a “significant” change in size to the root zone (Significant TBD).
> - Significant changes to the operation of the root zone, such as
> 	- Change in root zone operator
> 	- Change in DNSSEC key algorithm or size
> 	- KSK roll?
> - Changes in operational policy
> 	- Significant change in root DPS (Significant TBD)
>

> Possible list of topics the RZERC committee should decline to review:
>
> - Daily “standard” changes to the root zone (Standard TBD).
> - Introduction of new TLDs into the root zone (subject to the size bullet above).

Howard, your suggested list looks fine to me.

One thing that I think could/should be added to the list is getting a root key repository outside the USA. Suppose US airspace gets closed down. Or immigration policies make it impractical for foreigners to serve as TCRs.

A KSK roll is probably out of scope though -- it should be a routine if infrequent event -- unless it involves a change of algorithm or key length.

I assume that RZERC is not going to do any work on whatever ends up on the list we compile. Until of course someone approaches us with a proposal that’s in scope for RZERC.