[tech-whois] A follow up session in San Francisco?

Jay Daley jay at nzrs.net.nz
Wed Feb 16 22:18:21 UTC 2011

On 17/02/2011, at 11:12 AM, James M Galvin wrote:

> Steve,
>
> I don't know how to answer the question you are asking.
>
> My first question in this thread was, "What is the purpose of the
> meeting in San Francisco?"  This question has not been answered.
>
> The purpose of the meeting should be stated in a way that suggests
> there will be something actionable that results from the discussion.
>
> The meeting in Cartagena was a stellar success in that we had consensus
> in that room that the Whois protocol is insufficient to meet the needs
> of domain registrations going forward.

I don't recall that at all!

The point I made then and would continue to make is that the WHOIS protocol is fine for the use case of the current WHOIS service.  If we wish to change the use case then I see that as a different service and not WHOIS.

> We had very brief intro to some possible solutions.  For me the purpose
> this served was simply to alert people to the fact that there was
> technology that could solve the problem.
>
> We had review of the IRD interim report.  This served to support the
> fact that the Whois protocol needs to be replaced, especially if that
> report does not change significantly before it is drafted in to its
> final form.

Again I don't agree and I have suggested some simple technical solutions to get around this, namely the use of flags to specify the encoding.

> We don't need another workshop and we don't need a meeting to discuss
> the fact that we need to discuss what the Whois protocol will evolve to.
>
> It is time now for some accountability.  If we want to examine possible
> replacements for Whois it would help to have all the requirements
> stated.  The IRD group will have some.  There may be others.  Who or
> what is accountable for developing the complete set of requirements?
>
> Maybe we don't really have consensus that the Whois protocol should be
> replaced.  How do we know and, if not, how do we get it?
>
> A related but equally important question is why is ICANN undertaking to
> examine this technical question?  Ordinarily ICANN looks to the IETF to
> investigate technical questions.  Of course, the IETF has already
> answered this question so if we want a different answer then we need to
> explain why.

Because there is a misunderstanding between the protocol and the service.  All the issues raised, bar encoding, are issues with the service and not the protocol and the IETF does protocols not services.

best
Jay