[tech-whois] A follow up session in San Francisco?

MICHAEL YOUNG myoung at ca.afilias.info
Fri Mar 4 14:16:03 UTC 2011

Hi Dave,

Ok that email was hovering on needing chapters and an index! :-)

Let me boil it down a little bit to simple terms, because I think I am
observing a misunderstanding that anyone is on really different pages here.

1) I think we all agree some work is overdue on Whois,particularly around
IDN issues.
2) I think we all can agree that the exhaustive list of "to do" items in
Whois from various past efforts, could be clarified and maybe set in a
prioritized list.  Since I don't see any single document that tells us
exactly what we should get working on and in what order. If anyone has
such a document that all the stakeholders in Whois (already in consensus)
then please put it to the list!

Assuming such a document does not yet exist, I suggest:

That there are plenty of documents where we can pull a list of work
requirements from without reinventing the wheel, Steve or Dave, perhaps
you could collect them and post them to this list.  Then in San Fran, we
can take a shot at itemizing them, and prioritizing them and flagging
anything that anyone feels is missing.

Requirements in my mind are derived from both real world needs and
technical best practises/intentions.  So in a really good project, I
usually see a list of requirements from end users/consumers and a list of
requirements from the engineers that have to develop and operate the
system. Sounds like we have both scattered across multiple documents, and
just need to spend a bit of time consolidating them into a common
document, listed in a prioritization that everyone(all stakeholders) can
agree to.

Once that happens, it becomes relatively easy to start planning work and
move forward. That's when I think the tech folks can get down to a "robust
debate" on the best way to execute on/implement the work :-)

Michael