[tech-whois] A follow up session in San Francisco?

Jay Daley jay at nzrs.net.nz
Fri Mar 4 20:33:57 UTC 2011

Hi Michael

That's a good process but we need to separate out designing a new service from replacing the WHOIS.  We could end up with one of three scenarios:

- no change to WHOIS
- new directory service while existing WHOIS remains
- WHOIS changes significantly

cheers
Jay

On 5/03/2011, at 3:16 AM, MICHAEL YOUNG wrote:

> [...]
> usually see a list of requirements from end users/consumers and a list of
> requirements from the engineers that have to develop and operate the
> system. Sounds like we have both scattered across multiple documents, and
> just need to spend a bit of time consolidating them into a common
> document, listed in a prioritization that everyone(all stakeholders) can
> agree to.
>
> Once that happens, it becomes relatively easy to start planning work and
> move forward. That's when I think the tech folks can get down to a "robust
> debate" on the best way to execute on/implement the work :-)
>
> Michael
>

> On 11-03-04 8:40 AM, "Dave Piscitello" <dave.piscitello at icann.org> wrote:
>
>> Jay hello,
>>
>> I have to respectfully disagree with your characterization of
>> requirements,
>> which I think is somewhat constrained by the implication that the intended
>> application of a successor to WHOIS is for a domain name directory
>> service.
>>
>> The requirements for a general purpose directory service have been
>> discussed
>> many times. SSAC provided several reports to the GNSO summarizing its
>> understanding of what these requirements are when asked by the GNSO. The
>> GNSO service requirements cataloged these and other service requirements
>> suggested in past WHOIS discussions. This is an ample (perhaps not
>> exhaustive) set on which to design a protocol.
>>
>> I'm also confused by some statements you make.
>>
>> might provide capabilities worth considering.
>>
>>> Speaking as a technical person I have no idea how any discussion on the
>>> suitability of a protocol can take place if the requirements are not
>>> nailed
>>> down first.
>>
>> If we were talking about protocol development in the 1980s or 1990s I
>> would
>> agree. Since that time, protocols have largely been designed with
>> extensibility in mind. That HTML and XML have this characteristic whereas
>> IPv4 did not and we are now forced to brute force a new protocol in its
>> place.
>>
>>> This is the paragraph where the word "requirements" has disappeared.
>>> For an
>>> evaluation to be "purely technical" then it must consider how the
>>> protocol
>>> meets current requirements.
>>
>> If you say to a protocol engineer, "here is a catalog of requirements,
>> please show me that your protocol meets them" and the engineer responds
>> "here is a protocol and architecture and data model that can be extended
>> support whichever requirements you choose from this catalog and because it
>> is extensible it's highly probable it can meet them too" then I don't see
>> how we are in conflict over this point.
>>
>>> This has clearly not happened in this case - instead the evaluation has
>>> consider multiple changes to requirements and how the protocol might
>>> those.  There is no way a claim can be made that was a "purely technical